Mercury Amalgam Fillings
What is an Amalgam Filling?
An amalgam filling is a metal alloy material that is used by a dentist to restore decayed, cracked or broken teeth. The dental amalgam is a soft paste made by dissolving silver, copper,tin and other trace metals in elemental mercury. After the dentist fills the tooth, the amalgam material hardens to complete the restoration.
- Trace Metals 3%
- Copper 8%
- Tin 14%
- Silver 25%
- Mercury 50%
Composition of amalgam fillings.
Mercury amalgam fillings have been in use for 150 years and hundreds of millions of people world wide currently have amalgam filled teeth. Even 150 years ago dental physicians were well aware of the dangers of mercury amalgam fillings and the Association of Dental Surgeons actually banned their dentists from using them in 1843. However, some dentists quickly realized that they were missing out on money that could be made by placing amalgam fillings and formed the American Dental Association to fully endorse their use. Over time, more and more dentists left the ASDS in favor of the ADA and the ASDS was disbanded. The ADA still supports the use of amalgam fillings to this day.
Why are amalgam fillings dangerous?
Some dentists and health professionals argue that the mercury in an amalgam filling is inert and therefore completely safe. Others concede that amalgam fillings do indeed radiate mercury vapor but the levels are not high enough to damage a person’s health.
Unfortunately the truth is that the mercury in an amalgam filling is not stable. At room temperature (68° F) the bond between the mercury and the other metals is strong enough to prevent vapor leaking. However if the temperature of the filling increases (i.e. as soon as the filling is placed in the oral cavity at 98.6° body temperature) the bond is weakened and higher levels of mercury are released.
Since the amount of mercury vapor released is directly proportional to the temperature of the filling, even the the most basic actions like chewing, cleaning teeth and drinking hot fluids greatly increases the amount of mercury released.
Is there a safe level of mercury?
It is important to note that there is no threshold level with regards to mercury toxicity. It is wrong to define “safe and acceptable levels” of mercury exposure. There is no safe level of mercury!
What are the harmful effects of mercury vapor from amalgams?
Mercury is the most toxic non-radioactive naturally occurring substance on earth. It is a powerful toxin that is absorbed and accumulated in the cells. Within seconds of the lungs inhaling amalgam vapor the major organs are exposed to mercury. The human body is capable of removing mercury through urine and feces but studies show that this ability decreases as the amount of mercury in the cells increases. Overtime, the accumulated mercury can overload the bodies natural detox system leading to biochemical stress.
Effects of mercury on cells.
Damages proteins and enzymes.
Mercury penetrates protective cell membranes and damages vital proteins and enzymes.
Damages brain-blood barrier.
The blood-brain barrier is an effective mechanism that protects the brain from bacteria and toxins. Mercury is adept at passing through and disrupting this protection. Once the blood-brain barrier has been disrupted other toxins and bacteria can potentially travel to and damage the brain.
Causes degeneration of brain neurons.
Mercury can pass through the brain-blood barrier and damage neurons.
Generates harmful free radicals.
Mercury generates huge amounts of damaging free radicals.
Are you at risk of mercury poisoning?
Mercury accumulates in the body over a period of months, years and decades. The amount of mercury that does accumulate depends on a number of factors.
Number of amalgam fillings fitted.
The more amalgam fillings you have, the more mercury will be absorbed into the body.
How long have amalgam fillings been in mouth.
The longer amalgam fillings are in the mouth the more mercury will be released. It has been proven that an amalgam filling that has been in the mouth for 10 years will have evaporated 40% of its mercury content into the body.
How often the amalgam fillings are stimulated.
The more an amalgam filling is stimulated the more mercury will be released. Eating snacks often will release more mercury, as will drinking regular hot drinks, chewing gum or eating sweets. After being stimulating it can take up to 90 minutes for a filling to return to normal.
Cleaning teeth is a major form of stimulation. The intensity of the cleaning action will determine how much mercury will be released. A light cleaning with a soft bristle brush will release less mercury than a powerful electric toothbrush. A professional cleaning at the dentist will cause the greatest amount of vapor release.
What are the symptoms of mercury poisoning?
Mercury poisoning can seriously damage physical and mental health. As mercury accumulates in the body, basic body functioning is negatively effected and a myriad of symptoms can arise. These symptoms are usually attributed to other diseases as doctors rarely request a toxicology report when diagnosing an illness.
Some of the most common symptoms of mercury poisoning –
Depression, Manic Depression, Shyness, Anger, Aggression, Anxiety, Fear, Mood Swings, Nervousness, Shyness.
Memory Loss, Reduced Mental Capacity, Slurred Speech, Numbness, Tremors, Learning Difficulties, Personality Changes, Insomnia.
A persons genetic make up can determine how susceptible to mercury poisoning they are.
Total exposure to mercury.
Other sources of mercury exposure such as eating contaminated fish, breathing in industrial pollution, using certain pharmaceutical and household products can all contribute to the total mercury load.
Mercury Poisoning Related Diseases.
The following Diseases have been directly linked to an accumulation of mercury in the body. Mercury can also indirectly affect an even larger list of ailments.
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Mercury Toxicity and Children
It is estimated that 10% of women have mercury levels toxic enough to potentially damage the health of their child. Mercury is passed from the mother to the unborn child increasing the risk of Autism, learning difficulties, ADHD and personality disorders.